The Hook Of Texas 4: Don't Marfa My Alpine

 

One big bending bender blur, 279 miles in all: 27 from Alpine to Marfa, 61 from Marfa to Presidio, 66 from Presidio to Terlingua, 24 from Terlingua to Big Bend National Park Headquarters, 70 from Big Bend National Park Headquarters to Marathon, 31 from Marathon back to Alpine.  Twelve hours total, a hexagon when drawn out on a map.  A blast.  Scratchy radio, no glowreception, sun roof open, windows down.  Was a crispy cool, mid morning 53 degrees when I filled up my gas tank in Alpine.


Took the familiar Hwy 90 to Marfa where I got a daytime look at the Mystery Lights area.  Armed with research and a closer inspection of the map, have concluded the lights to be a combination of automobiles, trains, and other explainable illuminations.  Nopal Road, Mitchell Road, FM 169, US 67, and the Texas Pacifico railroad line can all be seen from the viewing area at night, maybe 20 to 30 miles out.  Still freaky though, got their very own Bigfoot in Marfa.  Hell, worked for Loch Ness.

No wonder that handwritten sign at Harry's Tinaja in Alpine said "Don't Marfa my Alpine."  Get over yourselves, down with your political Adobe tax, driving out the natives with real estate prices and forced art.  It's fine, it's fine.  Nevermind, nevermind, it's a great place to visit.  But I was anxious to go south, to the border, to the Rio Grande; I drove right through Marfa, hooked a left at their light, and was on my way to Presidio.

Popular Posts