The Hook Of Texas 33: Rad Is Rad

 

Back home, I immediately took three mosquito bites on my back patio, time for another poisoning, lather up in deet.  Mosquitos know where the blood is, the Hook Of Texas is sparse on blood, everything is so spread out, blood per square mile has to be miniscule compared to cities and suburbs.  Standing water don't stand for long out there, but I'm sure a few of those bloodthirsty bastards live there anyway.  Mosquitos will be the last living creatures on earth, outliving cockroaches, rats, and classic rock.  To which I say, you don't have to try and sound like Neil Young when you sing a Neil Young cover, back to the music.


Pedal Steel Noah's instrumental rendition of Billy Idol's Eye Without A Face at Marfa Spirit Company Friday night took me and shook me.  Played properly, the instrument pierces the venue like a blade, the sound is completely unique and will never leave me, vocals would have ruined the set.  Shouts to the bass player, rad is rad.  Unaffected by it all, P.S. Noah was expressionless, except for his eyes.  They darted and danced, they didn't hold back, they saw notes we never saw, we could only hear them.


Saturday night was the Tejas Brothers at the Granada Theater in downtown Alpine, they were magnificent, a cross between Freddie Fender and Merle Haggard, the singer had a powerful voice and filled up the entire place.  Then, on my way to Railroad Blues on my bicycle to check out Jomo And The Possum Posse at Railroad Blues, everything came to an abrupt red and blue siren stop.  I was pulled over by the Alpine Police Department.  The officer was nice enough, said something about a night light ordinance and a local problem with drug dealers on bikes.  He ran my DL# for some reason, checked out clean, but it was an ender, I pedaled back to my El Viejo Adobe, held my own jam session, and packed up for the drive home the following morning.




Popular Posts