20/20 Gonzo 39: Big Fancy Band


Never one to join things, associations, causes, political parties, clubs, teams, bands, or gangs.  At least not for free.  Usually, it doesn't work out all that great.  Prefer creating loose affiliations with clear purpose, processed and ordered, with some aspects of perpetual evaluation and constant adjustments, productive and eternal.  Once something is joined, reality and reason are secondary afterthoughts, the organization and it's objectives become primary.

For example, let's say the Rolling Stones wanted me to join their band.  A prolific songwriter, solid rhythm guitar player, and Townes freak, it could be outstanding.  A western texan vibe, Keith riffing, Ronnie sliding, the Watts beat, and I'd be cool with Mick doing the harmonica parts on my tunes.  He's really good.  But no, I'd probably be like current bassist Darryl Jones, stuck playing the same ole tunes and probably getting less pay for the opportunity to be an employee of their big fancy band.

And for what, some sort of subservient credibility or status, an instant following, a beneficiary of another's vision, another's destiny, another's everything.  Sure, I'd do if for enough jack, if they paid me enough.  Think we could make something out of these dirt bike songs I've been writing lately and I believe Mick and Ronnie are both tennis players, or once were.  It could work, but we'd have to ditch some of the old tunes and feelings could be hurt, fist fights could break out, the limits of my personal pacifism could be tested, legacies altered, generational gaps, British rockstar egos.  Thankfully, this Rolling Stones hypothetical is just a hypothetical to illustrate a point, just be thoughtful and selective about joining things is all.

Popular Posts